Tuesday, September 05, 2006

New School Year, New Me....Sort of

Another summer has gone by in my life. But this is probably the most significant summer of my life. No, I did not go on a life-changing trip to Europe where I realized I belonged at a street cafe in Paris, just to smoke my life away and philosophize about life (but I'm sure if I did, that wouldn't be too far from the truth). It was a summer of realizations. This summer I realized more about myself, and about others around me. The first year of college is very telling of who you can trust, who your true friends are, and what really makes you happy.

My first year of college was not what I expected. I expected it to be a year of intellectual feats and self analysis...but I can only think of one word that could sum up my freshman year: Unhappy.

I have no one else to blame but myself, I could have made a better effort to make myself happy. I could have found more things that made me happy, and met more people. Instead, I sat in a pool of my own self-pity of "Why why why did I settle for ASU? I should have kept my motivation and taken out loans and gone to school in New York."

The most significant life-changing experience I have had thus far, has been my spring break trip to New York City. I had a taste of what New York City was when I was fourteen, when I went on my class trip there. But the eight days I was there had a huge impact on my life. I was with, what I consider, my truest and most loyal friend, and we experienced so much together. And fate brought me closer to some mutual friends, who happened to be in the City at the same time. This trip also introduced me to "my other half." No, not a boy ( I wish) but Tara, a girl I have so much in common with it's uncanny. We basically are the same person, but with slight differences that make us even more fabulous.

This summer involved a lot of thought about life, what I really wanted to do with it and who I wanted to spend my time with. The highlight of my summer is definitely the time spent with the girls I spent eight amazing days with in the Spring of 2006. From hookah bars, to the consumption of a countless amount of cupcakes, or to fabulously themed "Project Runway" viewing parties, every minute I spent with them was pure happiness. I also realized my fair weather friends and those friends who have changed...for the worse.

Summer is over, and I feel rejuvenated. I am ready for everything. I was dreading the start of classes, but I was excited at the same time. Excited for a fresh start. I am so excited about the future it's ridiculous. I am tempted to transfer to fashion school in NYC, but I figured I can finish my degree and graduate early here, and save up money for all the fabulousness that will occur upon my move to New York (I already have roommates!)

Two weeks of school has already passed, and I am happy to say I actually like my classes (even those mind numbing business skills courses) and I am in love with half of my professors. I am applying for fall internships, and I'm hoping to snag an editorial internship. I'm ready to quit my job at Macy's because of their inflexibility with my schedule, but I'm excited to get a new one. I have started doing yoga, pilates and running and I can already see the effects. I have so much energy and I'm happy almost all the time (it's true- endorphins really DO make you happy!) I'm starting to train for a half- marathon I hope to run in January with one of my best friends. And I'm looking forward to my summer spent in New York City with girls who have basically changed my life.

I love the start of new school years. I can wipe my slate clean and start fresh. I miss my friends dearly who live across the country, but I know we will be reunited soon. All I can think about is summer in New York and semester in Paris with my twin. And then, moving to NYC right after I graduate (early). They are the lights at the end of the tunnel, and I wouldn't mind getting a criminal speeding ticket just to get there faster!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home